Sunday, September 22, 2013

Whats inside my box? Part1- TRADERS JOE'S SPECULOOS


After 4.5 weeks of waiting.. Finally! My box arrived.
Guess whats inside my box? Well aside from feeding bottles, diaper bags, breastpump. I also ordered cookie butter, marshmallow spread and peanut butter

Fluff marshmallow spread, reese peanut butter, traders joe cookie butter and lotus biscoff spread

My curiosity on cookie butter started when my friend from US (Emil)posted speculoos cookie butter in his FB account. Then i realized that everybody now are making a fuss on this cookie butter. I decided not to compare speculoos, biscoff and reese peanut butter from each other since what i got are not an apple to apple comparison. (a creamy traders joe cookie butter, a crunchy lotus biscoff cookie butter, a creamy peanut butter- see they are not comparable - and the fluff marshmallow spread is a different story)

TRADERS JOE'S SPECULOOS COOKIE BUTTER
Most online store here in the Philippines sell this at 450 php per jar (quite expensive compared to Lilys :-) )Not to mention that some online store will let you wait for a month. (Preorder)

I did my research on what really is speculous cookie butter. Bits of information from wikipedia says

1. Speculoos is a type of spicedshortcrust biscuit.
2. Spices used in speculoos are cinnamonnutmegclovesginger,cardamom and white pepper.
3. By 2007, several Belgian companies began marketing a paste variant of speculoos, now available worldwide under various brands and names: as SpecullaCookie Butter 
4. As a form of "spreadable Speculoos cookies,"the flavor is caramelized and gingerbread-like with a color similar to peanut butter and a consistency ranging from creamy to granular or crunchy.
5. The spread consists of 60% crushed speculoos cookies along with vegetable oils.
It is indeed creamy and looks like peanut butter
sweet with a mix of spiciness, you can taste the granular cookies.

Personally, i find the mixture of its sweetness and spices strong (pinoy tastebud). I agree with all that its delicious but unlike others it does not blow my mind.Maybe i have set my expectations too high on this mysterious bottle. 

Anyways,we opened the bottle just last night and now its almost empty. I think someone in my family loves this cookie butter. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment